Beets are a wierd veggie, but one of our favorites, especially since they
come in vacuum packed pre-cooked recipe ready packets which we buy in quantity
from our favorite Big Box store CostCo. Another simple ravioli sauce dinner
needed a veggie, so bob pulled out a packet from the fridge and looked on-line
for a recipe combining crumbled feta and ani's favorite nut: pistachio. We found
our base recipe quickly, then worked out the peripherals. Red onion on hand,
check. Balsamic vinegar, we like that. Orange zest? nope, bob gave up oragnes
last century when he had some digestive issues. But lemon works.
Okay, this was well received by Ani and her mom. We will do it again. Will
you try it?
- 11 oz red beets, recipe ready
2 T red onion, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
2 T olive oil
1 T red balscamic vinegar
1 small lemon, zest of, 1 T juice
pepper to taste
1/4 c parsley, chopped, tender stems OK ( or sub some mint, Italian parsley, basil)
1/3 c pistachios
1/3 c crumbled feta
Optional garnish: top with pomegrante seeds (an Ani
favorite but we were out)
- Chop up the beets into small pieces. [Judgement call, cubes not exactly
since these are round..]
- Toast the pistachios in a nonstick pan. Let cool.
- Prepare a dressing with the olive oil, lemon zest and juice, balsamic
vinegar, salt and pepper, and garlic.
- Stir in the dressing and parsley.
- Sprinkle the pistachios over the mix and stir around.
- Sprinkle the feta crumbles over top this stuff.
- Random Italy lover blog recipe:
beet salad with feta.
- Illustrations available.