yoga truant mushroom soup
We had a summer break from yoga. September arrived. Hari called. Yoga class tonite at
Betty's place. Okay. But it was not okay. ms_ani finally had the guts to back out and
leave bob to do solo yoga. So while he was out going through the motions, unable as usual
to even come close to most of the positions, ms_ani tried to compensate for his all too
obvious disappointment by experimenting with one of his favorite foods: cream soup. Ready
when he returned. Really hit the spot. bob didn't last long as a solo team. The truant
count soon increased to two.
- 3 T butter
- 3 leeks, chopped
- 1 big potato, diced
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 1/2 c veggie stock (water + 2 t veggie paste)
- 1 1/4 c milk
- 1/3 c Parmalat cooking cream (evaporated
milk or real cream?)
- freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
- Melt butter in saucepan, add leeks and potatoes and mushrooms. Stir to coat with butter.
Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or so until beginning to
- Add stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until
veggies are tender.
- Stir in milk and puree with hand blender.
- Reheat and add cream, salt and pepper.
- In Italy every supermarket sells this thick cooking cream in a little carton, just
enough for a single recipe. Panna da cucinare. Our heavy cream is like water in
comparison. No waiting time to thicken up the panna, since it comes just right. But we can
only bring over so many little cartons per year in our baggage, so we ration this closely.
Parmalat has begun importing its cartoned milk, but not the cream so far. Maybe one day...
- Oops. We forgot to read the expiration date. This stuff doesn't last very long.